Since setting up the consultancy at the end of 2011 I have been involved in:
- Providing advice on the installation of new processing plant
- Supporting the launch of a new chocolate business
- Technical training in chocolate, mainly in UK and India
- Analysis of a cocoa processing operation identifying cost savings >$100m
- Support for consumer preference programmes in new markets
- Student mentoring for Chemical Engineering undergraduates
- Contributing to the new edition of Steve Beckett’s “Industrial Chocolate Manufacture and Use”
I am a regular public speaker, having given talks on chocolate manufacture at St Andrew’s and Birmingham universities and at the ZDS technical conference and, most frequently, talking about a range of confectionery issues at Leatherhead where I was Chair of the Confectionery Forum.
Prior to that I worked some 35 years with various parts of the Cadbury (and, latterly, Kraft) organisation in a variety of, mainly technical, roles:
As an internal consultant for the Kraft chocolate business
- Supporting a range of product and process development projects in chocolate across the globe, including UK, Europe, North and South America, South Africa, India and South East Asia.
- Developing and delivering chocolate technical training for the global centre of excellence.
As the Global Chocolate Technology Development Manager for the Cadbury chocolate business
- Internal consultant on chocolate recipe and process development projects worldwide.
- Developing chocolate recipes with cost savings of >£10mpa
- Creating “The Chocolate Course”
- Creating Chocipedia – a wiki-based repository for company chocolate knowledge
As the Product Development Manager for the UK
- Managing the product development group – “New, Nicer and Cheaper Sweeties” – delivering new recipes and processes to meet the volume and margin aspirations of the UK confectionery business of Cadbury-Schweppes – typically delivering 10k tonnes of NPD and £2m margin improvement each year
- Managing the UK Sensory team
As the Production Planning manager
- Managing the Assortments Factory planning team – producing production plans to meet the requirement of the UK business including the scheduling of materials.
- Developing an improved production planning system
- Scheduling the production of UK volumes in non-UK factories (mainly Ireland and France)
- Modelling chocolate feedstocks production
As the Chocolate Development Manager for Cadbury UK
- Managing a small team responsible for process and recipe development for UK chocolate and chocolate feedstocks including projects in cocoa origin countries
- Running a team developing a novel chocolate crumb process at the factory at Marlbrook, Hereford
As a Project Manager for Cadbury-Typhoo
- Recipe and process development for the jams and jellies factory at Histon, Cambridge
- Managing the sensory team
- Developing computer costing models for NPD projects